TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Alright, one last time.....
People Seeking Info

Subject Alright, one last time.....

Posted by Greg D. (Specialty-Z) on January 22, 2011 at 5:09 PM
  This message has been viewed 1088 times.

In Reply To The cross sectional area is not what i was referring to posted by ZiNnYc on January 22, 2011 at 04:18 PM

Message Let me go at this another way……
I think your looking at only one angle of this.
I think you’re only getting the fact that the longer air travels through a pipe and the smaller that pipe is, the more pressure drop you get. So your understanding increasing the size over a long length minimizes a pressure drop, CORRECT?

So the pipe size going over a long length is one part of the equation…..
The other part is only so much air can go through a certain size hole. If you make the hole smaller you limit the amount of VOLUME that can travel though the hole. The length on the hole matters, but so does the hole itself.
On a normally aspirated engine a tiny change in the hole size available is huge.
On a turbo engine you can move air through a small hole at the cost of increased pressure.
What is boost?
Boost is created by the limit of air to flow or restriction, CORRECT?
So if this is the case, and you limit the amount of area for air to flow by placing a smaller hole at the end of the path, it can only go through the hole by the pressure increasing.
Are you starting to get it?
The whole point of “Breather mods” is to increase the “flow” and reduce the “resistance”.
All the parts that are added to the packages that I am showing increase power, are removing the restrictions and allowing more volume of air to move before boost is made.
What this does is increase power by moving more air “VOLUME” at a lower boost level. The cool part is that we can still safely make the same boost level and because more “VOLUME” of air is moving a each boost level with the increased “flow” we make more power at the same boost and same octane of fuel when we mix the proper amount of fuel with the air we are moving.

Last time on restrictor plates……
A restrictor plate uses a smaller hole to allow less air to enter an engine….This limits the engine power by the size of this hole. It does not matter how big the engine or manifold is, it does not matter how big the pipe is going to it or the size of the carb.
It simply WILL limit the amount of air that can flow through that hole size. Making the hole smaller IS A RESTRICTOR OF AIR also known as a restrictor plate.

What happens when you only give the engine say ¼ throttle? Will the engine make the same power at ¼ throttle vs. full throttle? IT CAN NOT, WHY because you’re allowing less air to enter the engine and thus, less power.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.